WPC certificate for import of wireless equipment is a mandatory requirement in India. Wireless Planning Commission governs the procedure, the documents required, and the eligibility criteria of this unique approval.
However, the procedures that WPC has explained via its notifications are too complicated to comprehend. Therefore, we are here to explain to you everything about the WPC certification in simple language.
What is the significance of a WPC certificate of import?
The telecom sector is on the rise in India. However, when it comes to wireless products, we still rely on imports. It has paved the way for several dubious companies to expert their products across India and land on the palms of an Indian citizen. Read More: Insurance Marketing Firm
Such unconventional invasion has given the government of India concern about the safety of the citizens and the nation. Thus, to assess the quality of wireless equipment and to analyze whether it emits any harmful RF radiations, India’s governing body instituted the Wireless Planning Commission.
Handing over the reins to oversee this wing to the Department of Telecommunication (DOT), the government hoped to maintain the quality of the imported telecom products. In turn, the DOT responded with a mandate stating that:
Those with the WPC certificate for import, also known as Equipment Type Approval, have the exclusive right to import and sell wireless products in India.
Who has to obtain a WPC Import License in India?
During its introduction, the WPC import license was only mandatory for the importers of wireless products. However, with time and the introduction of more regulations, the certificate became essentials for manufacturers too.
To that end, the following are the entities that have to apply for WPC certificate for import in India:
- Importers of wireless products – operating within de-licensed bands.
- Manufacturers of wireless products – operating within de-licensed bands.
What is the procedure to obtain the WPC license for import?
Ease of Business – it’s a business aspect that has raised India’s reputation among foreign countries. To further promote it, the government of India has reduced the process of obtaining the WPC License to nothing more than a self-declaration. The steps of this procedure are as follows:
- Submit the wireless product to a NABL-accredited lab and get its RF test report.
- Fill the online application form.
- Submit the required documents
- After you apply, you’ll receive a notification that states that you must take its printout.
- Take the printout and attach it with the physical copies of the required documents.
- Submit the application and the required documents to the branch office of WPC in your area.
- The Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing will assess your application, documents and then test the sample of your wireless product.
- If the sample meets all the regulatory parameters of the Commission, you’ll obtain the WPC certificate for import.
What are the documents required for obtaining the WPC Certificate for import?
WPC Certificate for Import is a business license that requires the following documents:
- RF Test report.
- Certificate of incorporation of the Company.
- Memorandum of Association of the Company
- Articles of Association of the Company
- Import Export Code
- Authorization Letter granting the Power of application filing to an Authorized Indian Representative
- Manufacturing license.
- Sample of the wireless product you want to import.
The complications you can face while going through the application process
The eight steps we explained to obtain the WPC import license are hardly cut and dry. As soon as your application reaches the WPC, you’ll start running into complexities. Read More: Section 8 Company Registration
They range from objection because of missing application details to mismatch in the RF test report.
Such complicated circumstances can lengthen an already lengthy procedure to obtain this certificate. To deal with them, you must hire a telecom consultant.
- They can apply for the license on your behalf.
- Dealing with the documentation process is their job.
- Following up with the department is their forte.
- Providing you the certificate on time is their promise.
Do you want to prevent any complications during the WPC certification process? Contact these experts.
How to obtain a WPC certificate for import? It’s a procedure that has many steps and many complications. Find out how you can take your first stride to WPC import license in this blog.
Leave a Reply