A lot of us suffer from Orthodontics problems at least once in our lifetime and if your teeth hurt or you are noticing a clicking or popping sound when you open your mouth then you may be suffering from a temporomandibular joint or TMJ disorder. TMJ problems are more common in young women and may lead to a number of serious and unrelated symptoms. Getting dentist care for TMJ problems like the best orthodontist in Albany can help you manage the symptoms and improve your ability to chew normally.
What is TMJ/TMD?
Your temporomandibular joint is basically a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull. These bones lie in front of each ear. The joint allows you to move your jaw up and down and side to side, so that you can talk, chew, yawn and do other activities with Flexibility. If the problem arises in your jaw and the muscles in your face that control it get Dysfunctioning, then it is termed a temporomandibular disorder or TMD.
Signs and Symptoms.
The following signs and symptoms indicate that you may need to seek orthodontist care for a TMJ disorder:
- Facial, jaw, or ear pain.
- Pain in the neck and shoulders.
- Popping, clicking, or other sounds when you open or close your mouth.
- Jaw locking with the open or shut mouth.
- Experiencing pain when talking, chewing, or yawning.
- Headaches such as migraines and sinus.
- Hearing loss.
- Muscle spasms.
- Difficulty in chewing and biting.
- Difficulty in opening your mouth all the way.
Possible Causes Of TMJ Disorders?
The cause of TMJ problems may not always be clear but according to the TMJ-TMD treatment, Albany many factors can contribute to it. These are known as some potential causes for TMJ symptoms:
- Trauma to the face or jaw portion.
- Stress-related jaw-clenching.
- Teeth grinding.
- Muscle diseases.
- Other dental problems such as malocclusion.
- Some dental surgeries.
How To Treat?
In some cases, the symptoms of TMJ disorders even go away without the treatment required by a professional but if your symptoms persist, your Orthodontist may recommend a variety of treatment options available, often more than one to be done at the same time.
Along with other nonsurgical treatments, the medication options may help relieve the pain associated with TMJ disorders as suggested by the best Orthodontist Richmond.
- Use of Pain relievers and anti-inflammatories: If counter pain medications are not enough to relieve TMJ pain, then your doctor or dentist may prescribe strong painkillers for a limited period of time such as prescribing the use of strength ibuprofen.
- Tricyclic antidepressants: The medications are also known as antidepressants such as amitriptyline are used mostly for depression, but if consumed in low dosage they are sometimes helpful in relieving pain, controlling bruxism, and sleeplessness.
- Muscle relaxants: These types of drugs are sometimes used for a few days or weeks to help relieve pain caused by TMJ disorders that is due to defects created by muscle spasms.
- Oral splints or mouth guards: People with jaw pain will surely benefit from wearing a soft or rigid device that is inserted over their teeth, but the reason why these devices are beneficial is the fact that they even guard your mouth where chances of accidents or any mishaps are likely to happen.
- Physical therapy: Along with exercises that are helpful to stretch and strengthen jaw muscles, treatments might include ultrasound, moist heat, and ice to cure the pain.
- Counseling: Counseling is an effective way to treat patients mentally as their fear can allow them to refrain from Orthodontics treatment. Braces price in Richmond can help you understand the factors on how much it takes to cure the problem. Behaviors can also be understood that may aggravate your pain and so you can avoid them. Examples of this include teeth clenching or grinding, leaning on your chin or biting fingernails.
If you think you may be suffering from a TMJ-TMD disorder then immediately seek affordable dental resources by checking with your local dental societies or health organizations. Getting the condition treated as soon as possible can make sure to grant you the best results.
Leave a Reply