Professionals understand that when digital work is not organized properly then it creates chaos and inefficiency in the work routine. This lack of organization could be in many forms but one form of it is having duplicate files in your system. Trust us, they sometimes create havoc in the system because you cannot locate your documents, audio tapes, pictures, videos and other necessary files when you need them on an urgent basis. This means that you need to have tips and tools to search for duplicate files as well as get rid of them.
Before we give you a step by step guide to eliminate duplicate files and learn the best free and paid duplicate file finder, it is necessary to look for tips which help you with keeping safety measures in advance.
Tips To Keep Files Organized
- Documents shall be placed in one single location and must be labelled correctly. It can also be synchronized with the cloud so that there is no scope of losing your precious files easily.
- Creating folders in a logical hierarchical manner is a better idea so it’s better to name your subfolders properly.
- Avoid having complex layers of folders. Rather, group the files nicely and place them in proper folders.
- Keep a duplicate file finder in your Windows computer so that there are no duplicate files taking up the precious space and even doesn’t bother the process.
How To Delete Duplicate Files On Windows 10?
An easy to use and simple tool called Duplicate Files Fixer could be really helpful with deleting duplicate files from your computer and it happens within a few mouse clicks. In order to learn step by step guide to delete duplicate files, read the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Download and install Duplicate Files Fixer on your computer.
Step 2: Launch the application and choose the ‘Scan Mode’ option. This option helps you in finding if duplicates shall be deleted from PC, Google Drive or Dropbox.
Step 3: As selected, click on ‘Scan computer’ and click on ‘Add folder’ button and choose the folder which you wish to scan out.
Step 4: After the folder has been selected, click on Scan for Duplicates from the bottom of the screen.
Step 5: Let the process go on as it will take some time and wait till the scanning finishes. As soon as scanning is done, you will get all the duplicate files assembled in front of you, divided under units like Documents, Images, Music, Videos and Other files.
Step 6: While all the duplicate files are detected, you can easily preview them by selecting the file and every information related to it will appear side by side.
Step 7: Choose the file you wish to delete manually or simply select ‘Automark’ option from top left corner.
Step 8: Click on the ‘Delete Marked’ button which appears at the bottom and you have a good amount of free space available for further usage.
Why Do Duplicates Appear On Computers?
Well, there is no one reason for the same. The eruption of duplicate files comes because of:
- Using social media apps increases the chance of duplicates in the system as similar messages get accumulated in your system in the form of photos, audio files, video files and more.
- If you have copied files from one location to another and forgot to delete from the source file then there are chances of leaving duplicate files in the system.
- Multiple downloads of the same file leads to formation of duplicate files in Windows computers.
- While installing software, certain files get downloaded for software execution. As soon as other software is installed, there are chances of getting the same associated files and might create duplicates.
- In order to keep the operating system running continuously, Windows itself maintains multiple copies of files which can be available as and when corruption of the HDD sector takes place.
- However, the last two kinds of duplicate files shall remain available in the system in order to keep the system running smoothly. Wrap Up
Duplicate files is a common issue amongst every Windows user and the only way to get rid of this problem is to delete duplicate files. The process is not simple if done manually and hence requires a smart duplicate file finder for automatic and quick process. This is why we have recommended Duplicate Files Fixer to you so that you can enjoy removal of duplicate files in a super quick manner and the easiest way possible. Did you try removing the duplicate files or are you still stuck with the issue here? Share your views of eliminating duplicate files with us in the comments section below.