Every one of us wants to store and keep our images safe. We either store them on our Mac machines, or Windows PC, or even an external drive. Doing so, not only keeps the images safe but also makes your mobile devices lighter and all the space occupied by these tons of images gets released. However, in the effort to get the perfect click we all click multiple pictures that are duplicates or either similar. So, what to do if these duplicates become innumerable and one fine day you wish to delete duplicate photos.
Have you ever wondered, that once these pictures are transferred and saved to Mac, how will you find duplicate photos on Mac so that you can delete them and restore precious disc space?
If this question arises in your minds too, you have landed at the correct place as this article educates you about how to find and remove duplicate photos from Mac.
Best Ways To Find And Remove Duplicates On Mac:
There are multiple ways to delete duplicate files on Mac. Some may involve manual intervention and the order ways only make you download a software that will find and delete duplicate images present on a Mac.
Let us first discuss the Method which involves installing third-party software to remove duplicate images. After thorough research, we have found Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro to be one of the best utilities to get the task done.
Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro:
Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro for Mac is an amazing utility that lets you scan your Mac for duplicate and similar-looking pictures and deletes them with minimal manual intervention.
The software is really easy to use and optimizes the photos library in no time. It comes with a varied range of features that includes:
- Intuitive interface that can be used by all age groups.
- Scan and delete exact duplicates as well as similar images.
- Have multiple scanning methods.
- Provides a complete preview of duplicates found before deletion.
- Give the functionality of auto-marking duplicates.
- It also supports external storage devices.
How To Find And Delete Duplicate Photos On Your Mac?
Lets now see how to use Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro to delete duplicate photos on Mac:
- Download Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro(please put the download button)
- Once it is downloaded, follow the instructions to install it on your Mac.
- Now launch Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro and add individual photos/Photos Library or Folders as per your preference by clicking on Add Photos, Add iPhoto Library, or Add Folder. You can also drag and drop the images.
- Below you can also select to Scan All Images or set different filters.
- Once this is done select the Matching Criteria and then click on Scan for Duplicates.
- After the scan is complete, the utility will display all the duplicates found in a group-wise fashion. The app also displays the metadata of the images scanned.
- You can now click on the Auto-Mark function and allow the app to mark the duplicate for you or can select them as per your preference using the auto marking priorities.
- Finally, click on Trash Marked and easily delete the duplicate images from your Mac and restore precious disk space.This was the simplest way using which you can remove duplicate photos from the Photos library or other folder from Mac. Now we shall also learn about the Manual ways of locating duplicate images on Mac.
Manual Methods For Finding Duplicate Images On Mac:
1. Make Use Of Finder On Mac:
We all have a general tendency of saving the pictures at random locations on our Mac, and when it comes to locating these, it is nothing more than a nightmare. Well, you do not have to worry now, with Mac’s Finder you can easily locate and delete duplicate images from Mac. Let us see, how it is done:
- Open Finder on your Mac.
- Click on File and then navigate to New Smart Folder. Post this click on the “+” sign present on the right corner.
- Here, select the preferences or parameters on how you want to search the duplicates. You can easily select parameters like Name, date, format, etc.
- Once the images are sorted as per your reference, go through them and select the duplicates you wish to remove.
- Finally, right-click and then choose the Trash option to move the duplicates to Trash.
- In case you wish to permanently delete them, you can also remove them from the trash by clicking on Empty Trash.
2. Make Use Of The Photos App:
Another simple and easy way to delete duplicates from Mac is to use the Photos App. For this,
- Open Photos > File > New Smart Album.
- Name the Smart Album and then select the preference from the dropdown menu.
- Select the duplicate images > right click and then click on Delete.
- Post this click on the Recently Deleted option located in the sidebar.
- Finally, click on Delete All to delete duplicates from Mac.
No matter how careful we are while transferring or saving pictures to our Mac, duplicate images accumulate with time. Over time, not only do these duplicates eat up the disk space but also result in a poor Photos library. Locating and deleting duplicate images from Mac can be a time-consuming process and even leave you frustrated.
In order to remove duplicate images from Mac, you can either use a simple tool like Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro or can also follow the manual steps mentioned in the article.