Access Snapchat beta
To access the Android beta or iOS beta for iPhone owners, go to your Snapchat app settings, scroll to the bottom, and tap Join Snapchat Beta . On this page you will find all the instructions for accessing the Android and iOS beta version. You may then need to uninstall and then reinstall Snapchat for the beta to work.
Take a screenshot on Snapchat
Before, it was complicated. Now it’s very simple:
- On Android: press Power and Volume Down simultaneously
- On iOS: press Power and Volume Up simultaneously
The Snapchat screenshot is saved to your photo gallery. Don’t forget that the sender of the snap is notified instantly!
Take Snapchat screenshot without notification
Do you have something to hide? Want to make a public profile in Snapchat and take a screenshot but don’t want the sender to see it? It’s tedious, but possible:
- Open Snapchat for the snap to load,
- Switch to airplane mode (mobile data and Wi-Fi disabled),
- Open the snap and take a screenshot,
- Log out and close Snapchat,
- Disable airplane mode.
Warning: if you forget a step, the sender will receive a notification. Do the test with a friend beforehand to make sure that you are performing the method correctly to take a screenshot without getting caught. 😉
Icons on Snapchat (arrow, square, double-arrow, etc.)
Next to the nicknames of friends, several icons can be displayed:
Here is the meaning of the icon colors on Snapchat:
- If the icon is blue: it is a chat
- If the icon is purple, it’s a video snap with sound
- If the icon is red, it’s a photo snap or a video snap without sound
- If the icon is gray, it’s a snap sent to someone who hasn’t accepted your friend request yet.
The shape of the icons also has a meaning:
- Solid arrow: snap/chat sent
- Hollow arrow: snap/chat read by your friend
- Solid square: snap/chat received
- Hollow square: snap/cat read
- Double arrow: snap/chat captured (screenshot)
- Arrow in circle: snap replayed
Thus, a solid purple square means that you have received a video snap with sound (at least one of the snaps received contains sound). If there is a blue double arrow, it means that a screenshot of your chat conversation has been taken, and so on.
Know who viewed your Snapchat story
To find out who has seen your latest stories:
- Tap the circle at the top left in the Snapchat app,
- In the My Stories section, tap on My Story, to display your different active stories,
- To the right of each story, you can tap the eye icon to get a list of friends who have viewed your story.
Find out who screenshotted your Snapchat story
To find out who screenshotted your story:
- Tap the circle at the top left in the Snapchat app,
- In the My Stories section, tap the photo preview circle next to the My Story text.
- Your story opens in full screen, at the very bottom left, two icons are displayed: the eye corresponds to the people who have seen your story, the double-arrow corresponds to those who have taken a screenshot.
- Tap the double-arrow icon to see your friends who have screenshotted your story.
Friends list emojis
On Snapchat, to the right of your friends’ nicknames, you can see emojis (fire emoji, little pink hearts, red heart, yellow heart, man with sunglasses, etc.). Click here for a full list of friend emojis (and what they mean). For example, the red heart emoji appears next to your friend, when both of you are best friends #1 (BFF) for at least 2 consecutive weeks.
Customize friend emojis
Don’t like friend emojis? You cannot remove them, but you can change them. To do this, take the following path:
Settings > Additional Options (Manage) > Friend Emojis .
In this section, you have the option to change these friend emojis. For example, if you tap on “best friends”, you can replace the yellow heart with a blue heart if you prefer that color. You can also customize emojis for Super BFF and BFF emojis.
What are best friends on Snapchat?
When you send a snap, the app selects your “best friends”. But what do they correspond to? On this subject, the application is quite secret… However, it indicates that these are the people with whom you exchange the most snaps and chats. But rest assured: you are the only person with access to your list of best friends.
Read more : Remove watermark in TikTok
Know your number of snaps sent or received
To find out how many snaps you’ve sent and received, just press the circle at the top left to access their Profile page. Below your Snapcode, you see a number. Tap this number to reveal your received and sent snaps. To know: you can also see those of your friends by making a long press on their name, and by pressing on See the profile of friends .
Add your birthday on Snapchat
Head into Settings, then tap Date of Birth . Interest: your friends will be notified on your birthday, because a small cake will be displayed next to your nickname in the list of friends! They can then wish you a happy birthday (but your age remains confidential).
Famous Snapchat trophies are no longer available. Previously, you could get trophies (rewards) for certain actions: snap sent between 4am and 5am, snap sent with a temperature below 0° Celsius, etc. Now, trophies no longer exist but you can get badges called Charms to celebrate your friendships on Snapchat.
Snapchat Friendship Badges (Charms)
For each friendship, you get badges (Charms). To view badges earned with a friend:
- Go to the Chat section,
- Long press on their bitmoji (or name)
- Select View Friends Profile ,
- Scroll all the way down to view your friendship badges.
Here are some examples of possible badges:
- Snap gangsta: the two friends joined Snapchat a long time ago,
- Super Snapchatters: both friends have a high Snap Score,
- Best buds: the two friends talk a lot together…
block someone on snapchat
Blocking a user on Snapchat can be done from several places in the application: from the chat, the friends list or the list of people who added you. All you have to do is long press the contact each time, click More , then Block.
Unblock someone on Snapchat
To unblock someone on Snapchat, tap the circle at the very top left, tap the Settings icon at the top right, scroll down to the bottom, click Blocked . You will see the list of blocked people and you can unblock them. A blocked person can’t send you anything or see your story.
All about Memories
To access the Memories space:
- Open the camera on Snapchat,
- Tap the icon to the left of the photo capture button,
- You can navigate between 4 tabs: Snaps, Stories, Camera Roll and My Eyes Only.
With Memories, you can save your snaps and return them later. You can send snaps by choosing photos from your phone’s photo gallery and also add old snaps to your story. We have collected all the Memories cheats on this article .
See the location of your friends on Snapchat
Snapchat allows you to see where your friends are located on a map:
- Tap the Snap Map icon on the far left in the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen,
- A map opens, you can “zoom in” or “zoom out” to see where your friends are. You will see their bitmojis appear. You can click on it to get more information.
Note: if some of your friends do not appear, it means that they have hidden their location.
Hide your location (ghost mode)
If you don’t want to be visible to your friends on the Snap Map, press the circle at the top left to find yourself on the Profile page, scroll down to the bottom. You find the Snap card, with the Share my location option .
Scan on Snapchat: music, plants, dogs, calculations…
Snapchat lets you ‘shazam’ directly within the app to find a song you like. You can also: scan calculations to solve your mathematical problems, scan dogs to find out their breeds, scan plants to find out their names, scan foods to find out if they are good for your health…
To use the different scan tools:
- Open Snapchat app camera,
- Tap the emoji to the right of the photo capture button,
- Select Scanner from the navigation bar,
- Scroll through the circles to choose the desired scan.
Use special effects on Snapchat (lens)
Snapchat’s popularity started thanks to faceswaps (when you swap your face with someone else’s). Now, there are many effects, just:
- To be in selfie mode (front camera)
- Make a long press on a face present on the screen
The available special effects are displayed at the bottom of your screen, you can swipe from one to another to test them. Sometimes you will have to raise your eyebrows or open your mouth to start the animation. You can take a single capture (image) with a short press of the dedicated button, or take a video with a long press. Namely: some special effects are sponsored by brands.
Lenses are supported for Apple devices running iOS 10 or later and on most Android devices running Android 4.4 or later.
How to find new effects on Snapchat (Lenses)
Looking for new special effects? There is a Lenses Explorer. Just open the Snapchat camera, tap the emoji to the right of the photo capture button. In the navigation bar at the very bottom, you will find a “magnifying glass” icon (Explorer) which allows you to access an explorer of new effects, classified by theme: trend, sport, face, world, music, creators…
Use old special effects (lens) on Snapchat
Do you miss the days when you could throw up rainbows? Want to use those special effects again, without waiting for Snapchat to re-enable them? It’s possible ! Go to the settings of your phone or tablet, deactivate the automatic time and indicate an old date. The special effects on Snapchat depend on the date of your phone! As soon as your snap is gone, a tip: re-enable automatic time, as some apps may no longer work properly.