Sometimes users need to change their computer due to issues in the current system, or they need to upgrade to a new computer. In such a scenario, QuickBooks users need to move their company file data to another computer. In this article, we will teach you how to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer easily. So, if you need to use QuickBooks company file on a different computer, keep reading this article till the end.
If you need help in moving your company data or are unable to do it on your own, reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 to get technical assistance in resolving your issues.
Transferring QuickBooks Company File Backup to a New Computer: Prerequisites
Before performing the steps to move your company file to a new computer, follow the following requirements –
- Make sure to download the same QuickBooks version you are currently using on your new computer.
- Update your payroll tax tables before initiating the transfer process.
- Take a QuickBooks company file backup beforehand to avoid any loss of data.
- To prevent moving a wrong file accidentally, change your company file name on the old computer.
- Transfer your license number and QuickBooks registration details to the new computer.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Cannot Create PDF
Relevant Steps to Move QuickBooks Company File to Another Computer
Once you have followed the pre-requirements to use QuickBooks company file on a different computer, follow these steps –
Step 1 – Create and Restore the Company File Backup
Firstly, you must create a company file backup and restore it on the new computer.
- Open QuickBooks in single-user mode and create a company file backup on your old computer.
- Use an external hard drive or USB device and plug it in to copy the backup.
- Carefully remove the device and plug it into the new computer to transfer the backup.
- Open QuickBooks on the new computer and transfer the file backup.
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company and restore it.
Step 2 – Copy your QuickBooks Data into the New Computer
Migrate your entire QuickBooks data to the other computer by following these steps –
- Open QuickBooks and find out the QuickBooks data folder location.
- Click on the folder and press Ctrl + C or right-click on the folder and select Copy.
- Paste it into an external drive like a USB by plugging the drive into your old computer.
- Transfer the data through the drive into the new computer.
Step 3 – Use Data Protect to Back up Your QuickBooks Data
Check if your Intuit plan supports the backup and use it to migrate your QuickBooks data.
- Create a data backup on your old computer and log in to your IDP
- Save the backup online and log in to the IDP account on your new computer.
- Restore the backup using Intuit Data Protectplan and see if all the data is transferred correctly.
Use the above-provided steps to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer. If you are facing issues in transferring the company file, reach out to us at 1.855.738.2784 to get assistance from our team of experts in transferring the data.
Leave a Reply