We all know the significance of range hoods in the kitchens. They assist in eliminating all the grease, moisture, heat, smoke, and odors lingering in the kitchen air. Each of the kitchen exhaust systems performs such vital functions. But choosing the right range hood size is essential to ensure the proper and efficient airflow.
You should be aware that the vent system is measured in cubic feet of air and moves each minute. It’s also known as CFM. In addition, the width of vent hood systems is commonly measured as 24″, 30″, or 36″. It can also be any width between 24″ and 60″ wide.
The right shape, size, cap, turns, and length of the kitchen hood system assure resistance. Therefore, improving the clean airflow volume and including additional fan CFM.
Overall, a hood installation that is comparable in size to the stove should be considered. Only then would it be able to collect and drive all of the smoke, stench, and grease out of the kitchen.
Range Hood Types to Pick From
Of course, all electrical appliances have different configurations, so you can choose the one that best suits your kitchen demands. So, let’s talk about the various range hood styles that you can use to suit cooking patterns and kitchen aesthetics. As a result, the essential functions such as pushing smokey air and filtering healthy and clean airflow are performed.
- Wall Mount: As the name implies, wall mount ranges are mounted against the walls and behind the cooktops. Kitchen exhaust systems of this type are ideal. These also go from the ceiling to the floor, with a width ranging from 30″ to 48″.
- Range Hood Inserts: The best visual flexibility is provided by kitchen vent systems that are tucked secretly under bespoke covers or cabinetry. They normally range in size from 28″ to 60″.
- Retractable Downdraft: The retractable downdraft vent is easy to install on the countertop and behind the cooktop. Also, they are known to offer an elegant look and come as a fine vent option. These hoods are easily retractable and are 26″ to 48″ wide.
- Under Cabinet Vent System: These kitchen hoods come as a suitable choice when you have cabinets above the cooktop. Also, they do not disturb any kitchen design elements. You can mount them on the walls behind the range and can also install them underside the cabinets. If we talk about its range size then it ranges from 20″ to 60″.
- Island Kitchen Vents: The island kitchen hood system is made for cooktops that are placed on the island counter. These hoods are normally the center of attention in the kitchen. They are also available in a variety of shapes, designs, and sizes. The range size spans between 30″ and 60″.
What Kitchen Hood System Size Do I Require?
The cooktop and the amount of space available above it for hood installation decide the best range hood size for your kitchen. Always keep in mind that the range hood for your kitchen must be the same width as the cooking surface. This is to ensure that all odors and smoke from all kitchen corners are easy to capture and then push out. The majority of vent hoods are between 30″ and 48″ wide.
When choosing a range hood for your kitchen, consider the BTU and CFM ratings. CFMs, or cubic feet per minute, are a measurement of a range hood’s venting potency and the volume of air it can trap in a minute. Simply put, the higher the CFM value, the stronger and more efficient the vent will be.
Ways to Measure the Depth and Height of Range Hood
Finding the appropriate fit for your range hood necessitates the use of vital measurements. Start by measuring the distance between cabinets and the height above the cooking surface. Measure the depth of the cooking surface as well.
Besides, the following are the necessary steps to follow.
Estimate the Cooking Surface Width
Start from one stove side. Run and measure the tape directly across the contrasting side. This will help to determine the cooking surface width. To acquire the exact measurement, make sure the tape is parallel to the front edge of the cooktop.
Measure the Width of the Area Between the Cabinets
Secure the measuring tape on one side of the cabinet cavity above the stove to check the available space in the cabinets. Extend the measuring tape straight over to the other side as well. Make sure the tape is parallel to the cooktop’s surface.
Calculate the Space’s Height Exceeding the Cooking Surface
Now, take a measurement of the space above the cooking surface. Secure the tape to the base of the cabinet or the ceiling above the stove. The measuring tape is then essential to place straight down on the burner surface. Remember to provide space of up to 24 to 36 inches between the range hood bottom and the cooktop surface when installing the kitchen range hood.
Assess the Cooking Surface Depth
Attach measuring tape’s one end to the cooktop’s back end. Make sure to exclude the trim and control panel. The next is to stretch the measuring tape to the cooktop surface’s outside edge. This will help in better assessing the cooking surface’s depth.
To conclude, picking the right kitchen hood system or range hood can be challenging. But of course, you can overlook this important decision. Check for all the certifications before buying any range hood system and ensure it fits right to the kitchen aesthetics and meets the cleanliness needs. Also, it is best to connect with the contractors. They can better understand your needs and help you pick the ideal kitchen hood system that satisfies the same.
Furthermore, get in touch with the right professionals to measure the exact kitchen space and cooktop dimensions. After all, it is essential to select the right kitchen hood system.
Hope you find this write-up helpful and informative.
Do let us know your thoughts or any queries in the comments section below.
Thanks for Reading!!