QuickBooks is a bookkeeping software that deals with crucial accounting data of businesses. The software allows creating a backup as a safety measure to tackle unwanted issues like data losses and corruption. Users can use this backup file to restore their data in the software. Sometimes, there can be issues in restoring this data which can be troublesome as their business data is on the line here. QuickBooks Restore Failed is what they see on their screens when the software fails to restore the backup file. If you are also dealing with this issue while restoring your backup file, go through this blog to know why this error occurs and the appropriate methods to terminate it.
Don’t put your data at risk, take assistance from a QB expert at 1.855.738.2784 for a secure restoration.
About the issue
You may come across this error while using a backup file to restore your company file data in QuickBooks. This error indicates issues in your backup file, which will cause a failure in data restoration in the software. It will be annoying as the safety plan to recover your data will also appear in vain. You need not worry, this can be corrected by making changes in the file name and configuring some settings on your PC. An error message, “Error: Restore Failed,” will keep appearing until you fix the error.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 1712
Several reasons can lead to a failure while restoring your data-
- A company file with an identical name exists in the destination folder you are using to restore your backup.
- The company file name has invalid characters or symbols like @, #, $, %, etc.
- You are using a backup file created using a different version of QuickBooks.
You can use the following methods to fix this error while restoring your backup file-
Solution 1- Rename the company file and exclude any invalid character
QuickBooks doesn’t allow using special symbols or characters in the company file name. The software will not process the file and immediately cast an error message. It would help if you had a file name without such characters, making it invalid in the software. Follow the steps below to rename the file-
- Go to the location of your company file on your hard drive, and if you can’t find the file use the Search panel on your taskbar.
- If you still struggle, enable Hidden Itemsin the file explorer’s View option on the top left.
- Right-click on your company file and select the Rename
- Create any desired name that doesn’t involve any invalid characters.
- Save the file and try restoration again.
If you are still unable to restore the file, try the next method.
Solution 2- Ensure the folder doesn’t have a file with a duplicate name
QuickBooks doesn’t allow multiple files with identical names. Either you have to overwrite the file, or you can change the name of the company file. You are advised to avoid overwriting a file as this can cause data losses from the previous file. Follow the steps below-
- While saving your file, if you see a message, ‘File name already exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?’ click
- Change your company file’s name by adding or removing a character from its name.
- Proceed to save the file with a new name.
The data file will be restored after using these methods.
We have reached the farthest limit of this blog which aims to help if you are troubled by the QuickBooks Restore Failed error in the software. The probable triggers of this error and the effective methods to fix it are also included. We expect you to use the methods for fixing this error in QuickBooks.
You can get any further queries clarified by consulting a QB expert at 1.855.738.2784.