There are various reasons, in which it becomes important to move user from one domain to another office 365. The most common scenarios are when organizations merged with each other, or acquisition occurs. Considering the case when an organization acquires another. All their data will move to new organizations that acquired it.
But we must understand that it is not easy to migrate users from one domain to another office 365. Before migration, the user has to analyze, make a checklist and plan and follow all the steps carefully to execute the process without having any issues.
So, in this article, we will walk you through the detailed manual approach by explaining the pre-migration steps which are crucial while performing the migration.
Detailed Steps to Migrate Users from One Domain to Another Office 365(Planning, Preparation and Migration)
Step 1 – Planning
Proper planning needs to be undertaken before deciding to move user from one domain to another office 365. There are some necessary steps that need to follow to execute the process. Users must ensure that they have a proper internet connection. Then, follow the steps mentioned below.
Initially, get the additional Office 365 licenses to include the additional employees to add to the company.
Also, a user must ensure to have administrative privileges on both the Exchange Admin Console of the source and the destination account.
Alternatively, include a CSV file with names of all new accounts and their passwords. And then, upload this file to the Exchange Admin Console of the company that acquired the other.
Now, check that the new domain is created for the new employees. Now the newly joined employees will have both the accounts, new and the old organization Before moving forward, user needs to plan properly by creating a CSV of all the mailboxes to be moved.
Also, change the Time to Live (TTL) in the DNS of the primary domain to a smaller number.
In the final step, go to the Exchange admin center of the old company and disable directory sync.
At the end of this step, inform the new employees about the details of the transfer process and the downtime involved.
Step 2 – Migration
Office 365 does not provide any manual solution to migrate users from one domain to another office 365. So, at this stage is good to look for In-Demand Office 365 to Office 365 migration Tool. To complete the migration process, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Install and run the tool, then select Office 365 as a source and destination.
- In the Workload section, select items (emails, contacts, calendars, documents) that you want to migrate. Also, users can apply the date filter option to migrate selective data.
- Now, login to Office 365 source with Admin ID and Application ID and hit on the validate button.
- Now, users have to create a mapping between source users and destination users. To perform this task, the tool provides several ways to add users like – Fetch Users, Import Users, Download Template.
- Now the user is needs to type destination user mailbox IDs an assign passwords for each, then press continue.
- After the mapping process, click on the Validate button to validate permission.
- At the end after all validation is done, press “Start Migration” to migrate users from one domain to another office 365.
Now Let’s see some advanced features of this utility.
Smart Features of Recommended Tool
- Capable to move emails, contacts, calendars, and documents to another Office 365 domain.
- Offers Date-based filter option to migrate selective data to another domain
- User mapping option to create a mapping between source & destination Office 365.
- Provides the Delta migration feature to move data that has arrived on the source account during the migration.
- Enables the facility to set account-based priority to the account to migrate first.
- This tool Support batch migration of multiple users’ mail data from one domain to another Office 365.
Step 3: Post Migration Process
There are a few more things to look at after the migration process has successfully completed. Perform the following steps in order to ensure a complete migration.
- Initially, each added employee needs to be given their new email address and password. This will be helping them to log in to their new mailbox in the new company.
- Finally, guide each employee on ways to log in to the Outlook Web App to access their old mailbox.
In a Nutshell
Several organizations try for domain migration during the company merger or acquisition, but they don’t know how to move user from one domain to another office 365. So, in this article, we have discussed the detailed steps to execute this process smoothly without losing any data.